Thursday, January 12, 2006

Lucky find

I discovered today another ranking of international sides: AQB Sports Ratings - International Soccer Ratings. I don't think I'll be using it in my combined table, mainly because AQB only lists the top 100 teams. Obviously, a more extensive ranking exists in a spreadsheet or database somewhere, because teams move in and out of the top 100 all the time, and matches against the 101 and worse set count towards the rank scores.

AQB gives the following top 10:
  1. Brazil
  2. Czech Republic
  3. Italy
  4. France
  5. England
  6. Argentina
  7. Spain
  8. Netherlands
  9. Denmark
  10. Germany
Mexico is 19th (pretty spot on), USA 21st (a bit low). Serbia & Montenegro, a test case I like to look at to gauge a ranking system's volatility (that is, a lot of weight is given to recent performance), is 34th, higher than FIFA (47), but lower than the other three full rankings I like to look at.

In any case, it is worth keeping an eye on this one. The mind(s) behind this soccer ranking also publish rankings for cricket, rugby, and the NFL. I find the latter a bit strange for a site based in New Zealand.

No comments: