Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A cautionary tale

Like any fan of Canadian soccer, I (yes, "I", I'm dropping the royal "we" as, let's not kid ourselves here, there's only one writer for this blog. If you're interested in joining the team, let me know) go to great lengths to watch Canadians play. It's frustrating watching national team matches over some Icelandic stream, but merely an interesting pursuit when it comes to our boys' club teams.

Yesterday was Louis Riel Day in our fair province, and instead of celebrating this treasonous SOB, I was dead set on watching Rob Friend in an important 2. Bundesliga match. Luckily, German matches are streamed on bwin, an online betting service.

The catch? You need an account, and money in it, to view the matches. The minimum payment is 10 EUR, and I duly paid up, intending to let the money sit there and just watch some football.

But the allure of the gambling tables is hard to ignore. I bet on the M'gladbach-Mainz match (I bet on Borussia and lost) as well as a friendly between Issey Nakajima-Farran's FC Nordsjaelland and Krylia Sovietov of Russia (I won a bet that fewer than 1.5 goals would be scored in the 1st half). Since I watched both matches on bwin and the bets were small (1 EUR or less), I didn't feel too badly about it.

This morning, though, I placed two more bets, just for the heck of it. Two good bets also, which doesn't bode well for staving off addiction: money parked behind Beitar Jerusalem against Maccabi Haifa, and another euro on Juan Ignacio Chela were winning propositions. And I bet against the Leafs tonight as well.
I had money riding on this guy?
I can only go on doing this until my account runs dry, and 10 EUR isn't a lot to lose, but I can see the slippery slope. I suppose the lesson is that being a Canadian supporter is dangerous to your financial well-being, in addition to the inherent mental health risks.

No comments: