Monday, May 26, 2008

Brazil Anticipation #2

Pump up music

A match against Brazil is definitely worth a full week of warm up posts. Today's ain't much, and tomorrow's will probably be some grotesque Siamese conjunction of anticipation and blogging of the first match of the Voyageurs Cup tournament (live or otherwise), but I'd be remiss if I didn't take every chance I get to remind people that Canada is playing motherf*&(#Rign Brazil on Saturday.

Part of anticipation is getting jacked up. Maybe it's imprudent to begin with that stage on a Monday when the match isn't until late Saturday, but as long as you hold off on the drinking part you should stay out of trouble at work. When I played youth soccer, I was convinced of the effectiveness of a solid pump-up track. My adrenaline, so I thought, would give me a boost and I'd kick the shins of my opponents harder than ever. The 90s were strange times, and a get that was too smart for Nirvana and Soundgarden looked across the pond to the electronic sounds of The Prodigy. One track in particular, when played on my shitty RCA discman really brought on the rage as I sat in the backseat riding out to some dried out, windswept pitch.

Front 242 - Religion
(Trance U Down mix by the Prodigy) [4:50, m4a]

I can no longer vouch for the awesomeness of this track. But I still prefer dance music to standard jock jams for jacking oneself up (I said up!) for athletic competition. A recent downloading binge led me to a new MSTRKRFT track that accomplishes the same function (and will continue to do so until I overdose by listening to it 15 times before the Brazil game).

And I must say it does sound better, even listened to on a device that cost a third as much and is about one thirtieth the weight of the RCA clunker.

MSTRKRFT - Vuvuvu [3:52, mp3]



Today's preview: Canuck all for taking best shot at Brazil



I doubt any of you in my army of readers share my tastes, so share your own pump up picks in the comments.

No comments: