Tuesday, May 13, 2008

What to watch

Far be it for me to let this space devolve into a mere guide for soccer on television. But I do enjoy any chance I get to watch any of Canada's professional teams, and tonight provides one such opportunity:

The Vancouver Whitecaps had to wait awhile, but they finally have their rematch with David Beckham and the L.A. Galaxy.

The Whitecaps and Galaxy square off in an exhibition game Tuesday at Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium (CBCSports.ca, 9 pm ET), six months after the two teams battled to a 0-0 draw before 48,172 fans at Vancouver's BC Place.

Interesting that CBCSports.ca will be broadcasting the match online, while it will be carried live to air on the soccer cable channel Gol TV.

It's a chance to see David Beckham, geography whiz:

"I don't know much about Edmonton," Beckham admitted.

"I've talked to a few people up there that said it may be cold. But that's nothing I'm not used to because I'm English and we're used to that kind of weather."
Wow, trade in stereotypes much? As a point of reference, the expected game-time temperate in Edmonton is about the same as the conditions expected at the same time in Los Angeles.

I'm not sure yet, but if I get the urge I'll be dusting off the old live blog format for this clash.

No comments: