Saturday, October 11, 2008

Canada - Honduras game day preview

Canada's players in San Pedro Sula, standing about and looking confused. Will tonight be more of same?

This is a catch-all post for all things pre-game that I think of throughout the day.

Now here in Canada, we often complain about the quality of our soccer media. In a football-mad country like Honduras, I'd like to imagine that they are held to a higher standard. Which makes the following kind of funny:

POSIBLES ALINEACIONES

[... Honduras lineup omitted because I don't give a shit...]

Canadá: Lars Hirschfeld; Paul Stalteri, Richard Hastings, Mike Klukowski; Patrice Bernier, Atiba Hutchinson; Tomasz Radzinski, Iain Hume, Jim Brennan, Ali Gerba y Rob Friend.

(source)

This lineup would be pretty silly, even if not for the inclusion of Jim Brennan, who isn't part of the Canada squad for the foreseeable future, given his outburst of self-preservation.

But even giving this Honduran sportswriter clown the benefit of the doubt, do you really believe that Dale Mitchell will play with three at the back? It looks as if the semicolon (;) is used to delimit keeper/defense/mid. This alignment is a 3-2-5, a highly unorthodox formation, even for Mitchell.

The excellent, although infrequently updated, Unto the Dogs includes some far more rational and informed lineup speculation in his latest post.

* * * *

I'm not going to say much about the latest player to take shots at Mitchell and the CSA, conveniently ignoring their own uninspired play over the last few months. All you really need to know is that I am disappointed, and so should you be.

* * * *

I'm not sure what the live blog is going to look like tonight, but whatever form it takes, it is sure to be fuelled by overwrought emotion and beer. For tonight's drinking, I'm staying as close to home as possible. In fact, I'll be drinking my roommate's beer, as he's gone home to Saskatchewan for Thanksgiving. A local brew, and a good one:

Proost.

If you've got your beer in the fridge already, or you'll be draining the taps at some local establishment, what is it you'll be drinking to celebrate/forget tonight's match?

* * * *

I provided viewing instructions in my last post, but I'll add them again, to be clear. For tonight's game, your options are:

TV: Rogers Sportsnet West, but only if you have a digital package that includes all 4 regional Sportsnet channels.

Live stream: Sportsnet.ca -- a link should be available closer to match time. This may or may not be available to viewers outside of Canada.

P2P: Several options may be available. Also, check rojadirecta.

Liveblog: This will be the place.

Wherever you watch, the game starts at 9:30 pm et / 8:30 ct / 7:30 mt / 6:30 pt

1 comment:

Headhunting Canuck said...

I'll be watching that live stream tonight to add my comments... it's the only way I'll get to see the game, bloody Red Sox.