Saturday, October 11, 2008

Honduras - Canada live blog

CONCACAF WORLD CUP QUALIFYING GROUP B
CANADA AT HONDURAS

11 October 2008

San Pedro Sula, Honduras
9:30 pm ET / 8:30 pm CT / 6:30 pm PT

Live on Sportsnet West & Pacific (digital cable only)
Streamed live at Sportsnet.ca

Last stand? (Please ignore the overt racial overtones!)

More information:
Group B standings:
Group/Grupo B
Group/Grupo BGP/PJW/GD/EL/P+/-PTS
Mexico33007:29
Honduras32015:36
Canada30123:51
Jamaica30121:61

As always, keep checking back for more.

In-game comments (now with more reader participation) will go live in the box below.


If you're interested in watching Mexico - Jamaica, try this link. There is currently some small debate on the Voyageurs site about which result is better for Canada. Mathematically a Jamaica win opens up more possibilities for Canada to advance, but a Mexico win would put them through to the next round, leaving them little to play for on Wednesday in Edmonton.

And on the off chance that you'll be interested in watching this evening's Toronto FC match (at FC Dallas), it is being streamed live at CBCSports.ca. The second half will coincide roughly with the 1st half of the Canada match, so hopefully you have your priorities straight.

Dale Mitchell has selected a very interesting starting eleven for the match:

CANADA: Hirschfeld; Harmse, McKenna, Hainault, Klukowski; Stalteri, Hutchinson, Bernier, De Jong; Radzinski and Gerba

It's listed as a 4-4-2. Stalteri moving into midfield is one big change. The other change is 3 new players in the back four. One of them is Harmse. I will be shitting bricks all night.

If you're confused, and not sure how to access the live content, click the 'play' button in the applet above. I'll provide periodic updates in plain ol' text as well.

Low tech half time update:
I'm far too nervous to do the live thing today, although our other guy is holding down the fort pretty well. Canada's makeshift lineup had a good half. You might have called it a great half if not for some defending that was a step slow and was punished. I'm not sure, but I think it was either McKenna or Hainault.

So it's 1-0 Honduras. Klukowski has been excellent, of course, and De Jong has been surprisingly good. But it's Tomasz Radzinski who has been the man so far. If Dale Mitchell takes him off for Iain Hume in the 60th minute, I'll probably stop watching.



It's over
. (Ok, so there are two minutes left. Whatever. I turned off the TV, Honduras up 3-1). I'm amazingly unpissed off. Mitchell coached a good game today, given the players at his disposal. Harmse was shockingly unshitty. Canada played hard, and lost on quality of finishing, and lucky bounces that went the other way.


Mitchell should obviously be fired, but on the basis of his previous work, not tonight.

4 comments:

Headhunting Canuck said...

Watch out for my little window coming in over top of yours J.

Headhunting Canuck said...

J if you can, launch the html code that I posted in my post over to yours... I'm pretty sure you can still view what I write. If not let me know and I can post it in a message.

J said...

Will do. I had forgotten about our new gimmick.

Headhunting Canuck said...

Yup, I'm going to have that gimmick running live through worldcup blog as well. Figure that could give us even more readers during the game.