Tuesday, March 03, 2009

They're multiplying

Where will the little Radz pop up next?

It all started as a bit of a lark. I was searching for a picture of Radzinski shirtless; not in a pervy way, I just wanted a high-res photo of his corner flag celebration after his goal against Mexico in Edmonton. The Google image search pointed me in the direction of Corinthian Sellers, who remarkets these dolls, which are or were apparently quite popular in Britain.

When I saw the Radzinski doll (the Canada one, not the Everton one or the Fulham one) I realized that these were too perfect to be gathering dust in an English warehouse. I offered one as a prize to the Canadian supporter who could explain to me how their use of the doll would best honour the spirit of blah blah blah... You get the picture. The real explanation is in the post there somewhere. The winner is a Canadian grad student in Massachusetts (Harvard? MIT?), who has been taking little Radz along on some adventures.

Now the Footie Fool, who appears to have awoken from a brief hibernation, has one. I don't know that two dolls on opposite sides of the continent qualifies as "spreading like wildfire", but it certainly is a happening. If this is the extent of the impact that this blog has on the Canadian soccer landscape, I can die in peace. But if you've bought one of these, let me know and send me a picture, and I can die even more peacefully.

The reaction of the Fool's wife really sums up what it is to be a Canadian soccer fan (I'm talking here mostly about the national teams as the pro stuff is picking up lately): "When I opened the box my wife just sighed and walked away. Bless the woman."

Sighed and walked away. Perfect.

* * * *

I haven't been able to maintain a lot of blogging regularity over the past few days, and don't expect to be making regular contributions over the next week. I'm in the middle of my last week of coursework for my current educational degree, and have a few musical side projects on my plate in the next week as well. I also spent a few hours on the weekend on some bicycle repair (I'm too optimistic about the weather, really), which cut into my productive time. I'm basically trying to get enough work done to clear my schedule for Thursday night, when I expect to be providing a live blog of Montreal's away leg in Santos. [10 pm ET, CBC Bold, CBCSports.ca, second half live on SRC (French CBC television]

Keep reading the soccer blogs, even if they're not this one:
  • Like I said, the Footie Fool is back with some good stuff, including another appearance for another Canadian talisman measured in inches, the cucumber.
  • Don Cherry said some stupid stuff about soccer as part of a smackdown of Alex Ovechkin. As much as I hate Cherry and love soccer, I also think the Don wasn't entirely off base, as part of Ovechkin's antics include being one of the dirtier hitters in the league.
  • The 24th minute has all the stories and non-stories about MLS expansion. Apparently a Toronto Star writer had the gall to say that the MLS will suffer with Beckham leaving. Duane doesn't like that.
The other thing you should be paying attention to is qualifying for the U20 World Cup. Canada starts up with that on Saturday in Trinidad against the home team, then follows that with a game against Mexico on Monday. I have high hopes for this team, but the rapid approach of this tournament got lost a bit in the hype surrounding Montreal's Champions League success.

5 comments:

Sam said...

Just wondering - are you doing a live blog for the 2nd leg of Montreal vs Santos

J said...

That's the plan. I actually said as much in the post:

I'm basically trying to get enough work done to clear my schedule for Thursday night, when I expect to be providing a live blog of Montreal's away leg in Santos. [10 pm ET, CBC Bold, CBCSports.ca, second half live on SRC (French CBC television]

I've had a productive evening, so I'm on track for Thursday night.

Were you thinking of doing one yourself?

Sam said...

I need to read better eh? No, I was just hoping you were doing one again to jazz up watching the game this Thursday...

J said...

It's looking good. I even discovered the precisely correct amount of buzz in a single can to make proceedings a little more entertaining.

Footie Fool said...

Miniradz and me will be following along as best we can. Hope the kiddies play along and are in bed early.

In my neck of the woods, this is the "kick you in the ass till it hurts in a good way tonight but not tomorrow" brew http://ratebeer.com/beer/vancouver-island-hermannator-ice-bock/6195/.