Thursday, July 09, 2009

Just checking in

I'm back at home base for 24 hours before I head out on another excursion. Time for a few important items:

Gold Cup Goals Pool Standings

Entry Goals
M@ 7
Andrew Bates 6
Kevin Elder 4
P 4
J 4

All of us picked Ali Gerba, so that part was a wash. M@ also had two goals from Romero in El Salvador's win over Costa Rica, and picked 2 of the 6 different Americans to score in the tournament.

Canada in first place in Group A
Awesome. All I saw of the Jamaica match was the one-minute highlight package they showed on Sportsnet which suggested that Canada might not have given a good 90-minute effort. But I managed to download the El Salvador match without learning of the result and was pleased with what I saw.

Canada often tends to play down to the level of their opponents, but against El Salvador they showed that they were a class above. The finishing still needs work, but the midfield display by Julian de Guzman and especially Atiba Hutchinson was dominant. The only players who played a below-average match for Canada, for my money, were Josh Simpson and Greg Sutton.


Because it doesn't get old . . .
Ali Gerba celebrating yet another goal.


I'll be back on Monday with more coverage, a more detailed summary of the goals pool, and hopefully some photos of fish I catch on the weekend.

And again, many thanks to Headhunting Canuck for keeping the place up and running while I'm away.

4 comments:

M@ said...

I'd just like to point out here that my current lead in the pool is due to some fairly deep analysis of the strengths and weaknesses in each first-round matchup, research on the players' scoring habits in club and international matches, some cursory analysis of the last 3 years' results in central American league play, and of course a few hours' gameplay footage review.

And then I just picked a couple of forwards at random from each team. Usually an older player and a younger player, unless I kinda liked a player's name for whatever reason.

Anyhow, the trick is, pick a system and stick with it. You heard it here first.

Headhunting Canuck said...

M,

Question... does picking numbers out of a hat work as an okay system to try win the pool... I`m thinking that is the one I`ll have to try next time. I promise to enter.

M@ said...

It certainly beats the dartboard method. I say go with it.

Headhunting Canuck said...

I will remind myself to double down the next time J throws out a competition with money in it. Though all your scouting has me very worried that the number out of a hat trick won't work, so maybe I'll just pick the number of a player on each team instead.