Monday, August 31, 2009

Monday cup of coffee

In an effort to keep posting on this blog somewhat regular, I've chosen Monday as a day to chain myself to my blogging chair (or bed) and write a quick roundup of topics that you may or may not be interested to learn that I'm interested in.

Keeping things regular is the reason for the post title. Yes, a coffee-as-laxative shit joke. Funny, right?


Ornoch signs with Heracles Almelo
Last week, I felt as though I was pretending to the Canadian Woodward and Bernstein to the Andrzej Ornoch transfer rumours, posting obsessively about what really is a minor development in the grand scheme of things.

Since the story warranted only two paragraphs in nearly every outlet that carried it, perhaps I shouldn't have been so excited. On the other hand, for Andy O, it is likely good for him to get out of Denmark where he wasn't one of the coach's favourites, to a place that is willing to give him a chance.

Ornoch training with Almelo

The contract is for one year, with a 2-year option.


* * * * *

Canadian pro teams in action
The Whitecaps, Impact and Toronto FC were all in action this weekend, and all earned draws.

For Vancouver and Montreal, who are in a playoff position, and whose nearest chaser, Miami, have clearly given up the chase, I guess it's not all bad. For Toronto, who need points, a road draw is a positive step, but not really enough at this point in the season.

Canadian content this weekend [Player (mins)]
Toronto: 292 minutes [Nana Attakora (90), Dwayne De Rosario (90), Jim Brennan (90), Ali Gerba (22)]
Vancouver: 395 minutes [Chris Pozniak (90), Gordon Chin (35), Martin Nash (79), Mason Trafford (11), Marcus Haber (70), Randy Edwini-Bonsu (20), Charles Gbeke (90)]
Montreal: 278 minutes [Adam Braz (90), Nevio Pizzolitto (90), Eduardo Sebrango (21), Mauro Biello (77)]

Reports: [Montreal 1:1 Carolina] [Vancouver 1:1 Rochester] [Seattle 0:0 Toronto]


* * * * *

Eredivisie report: AZ are in first, and all the big teams except Feyenoord (1-1 draw with Twente) were winners this weekend.

Also a winner is sometimes contributor to this blog Headhunting Canuck, who has submitted his picks for my season long Eredivisie pool. That makes two of us.

Picks so far:
Yours truly: AZ, Ajax; Mounir el Hamdouai (AZ), Luis Suarez (Ajax)
HH: AZ, PSV; Luis Suarez (Ajax), Balazs Dzsudzsak (PSV - this pick is brought to you by the letter 'Z')

I'm extending the deadline indefinitely, so there is more than enough time for you to get in. I've also figured out my scoring algorithm: your score will be calculated as follows

(total points from two teams selected) + (total goals from players selected * 2)

Have fun with that.


* * * * *

Canadian soccer blog post I enjoyed this week: Reference to the Canadian Football fan
Bob of Maple Leaf Forever provides character sketches of the various levels Canadian soccer fandom. His characterization of TFC fans is particularly apt.

Non-soccer blog post I enjoyed this week: The future is so yesterday: A synth-pop timeline
Synth-pop is one of the more embarrassing of my musical peccadilloes. Equally embarrassing is that I had to look up how to spell both "embarrassing" and "peccadillo", just to be sure.

1 comment:

Pompey Canuck said...

My picks are PSV & Ajax. Luis Suarez & Jon Dahl Tomasson