Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Monday cup of coffee: Tuesday edition


We all know that holiday Mondays aren't really Mondays at all. And in any case, I was too busy enjoying the first weekend of real summer, canoeing some of Manitoba's lakes and rivers, to be bothered with a catch-all post of soccer happenings.

I did, however, spend those moments of yesterday evening where I wasn't falling asleep on the couch (watching the seemingly excellent mini-series Guns on CBC), catching up on the stories of the past few days.


De Guzman to TFC?
Perhaps the biggest story to emerge over the weekend is the likelihood that Julian de Guzman will sign on with Toronto FC.

It may come as a surprise to some, but it really shouldn't. The longer that de Guzman remained out of work in Europe, the more likely it is that he would reconsider an offer from this side of the pond, the terms of which had always been generous. The bigger surprise, and disappointment, is that JDG was unable to get an offer from a European side that was up to snuff. I don't buy into the blackballing theory that Duane Rollins has thrown out there, and I do think he may have been a little picky, but that's not my problem.

I am interested in why JDG would agree now to a deal. Some problematic issues:
  • TFC are looking more and more likely to miss the playoffs, especially after their 1-0 loss this weekend. That means JDG may have signed on for only 6 games.
  • Playoffs or no playoffs, JDG will not be playing games for nearly half a year. This is not good when you are in the prime of your career.
Unless a deal provides an out clause at the end of the season, I don't see how this is good for JDG. By extension, it's not good for Canada's MNT either.


Canadian pro teams in action
Vancouver have played twice since last Monday: a 3-2 win over Austin Aztex on Wednesday, and a 1-1 draw against Minnesota on Friday.

Montreal have also played twice over the same span, earning two wins: 1-0 over Carolina, and 2-1 in Cleveland in the Cheese Bowl.

As mentioned above, Toronto FC were beaten 1-0 in Colorado, and in addition to playing terribly, failing to score, and harming their playoff chances, they had two players (Adrian Serioux and Amadou Sanyang) sent off.

If the rest of the season holds to form, Toronto will miss the playoffs, while Vancouver and Montreal will make it as lower seeds.

I'm looking forward to: Vancouver and Montreal going head-to-head at Saputo Stadium on Wednesday (Go Caps!)

If you want to check out the Canadian content in these matches, go check the data.


Eredivisie report: No Eredivisie action to report as top European leagues had the weekend off to accommodate World Cup qualifying. We did, however, receive a third entry into our Eredivisie pool from Pompey Canuck. Entries to date:Yours truly:
J: AZ, Ajax; Mounir el Hamdouai (AZ), Luis Suarez (Ajax)
HH: AZ, PSV; Luis Suarez (Ajax), Balazs Dzsudzsak (PSV - this pick is brought to you by the letter 'Z')
Pompey Canuck: PSV, Ajax; Luis Suarez (Ajax), Jon Dahl Tomasson (Feyenoord)
See the original post for details on how to enter.


Canadian soccer blog post I enjoyed this week: This has not been a good soccer day.
In this post, squizz, the most prolific of the canadian soccer guys, explains why I was so right in my decision to spend the long weekend in the wilderness instead of watching soccer (and, in my case, another sport).

Non-soccer blog post I enjoyed this week: I haven't been reading the blogs much. Does anyone have a good one for me?

1 comment:

squizz said...

The next time I have the chance to go canoeing in Manitoba -- rather than subjecting myself to this footy crap -- I will gladly take it.