|Lars Hirschfeld||GK||Vålerenga Oslo||Norway|
|Jaime Peters||D||Ipswich Town||England|
|Kevin McKenna||CB||FC Köln||Germany|
|André Hainault||D||Houston Dynamo||MLS|
|Pedro Pacheco||M||CD Santa Clara||Portugal|
|Paul Stalteri||D||Borussia Monchengladbach||Germany|
|Will Johnson||M||Real Salt Lake||MLS|
|Rob Friend||F||Hertha Berlin||Germany|
|Simeon Jackson||M||Norwich City||England|
|Adam Straith||CB||Energie Cottbus||Germany|
|Atiba Hutchinson||M||PSV Eindhoven||Germany|
|Nik Ledgerwood||D||SV Wehen Wiesbaden||Germany|
|Tosaint Ricketts||M/F||FC Politehnica Timiþoara||Romania|
|Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault||D/M||Tottenham Hotspur||England|
|Milan Borjan||GK||FK Rad||Serbia|
Goals and caps
A few thoughts, in point form:
- Again, we see the depth of Canadian players currently plying their trade in Germany. 6 of the 18 players selected are based in the country.
- Paul Stalteri is again included. What to make of this? Last game, against Greece, Stalteri was left off initially, but then called in due to injury. We saw in that match the lack of the depth at the outside back spots. I'm ok with the selection as long as he doesn't start.
- Good to see Mike Klukowski back after being left off of previous rosters for undisclosed 'personal reasons'. Strange to see him listed by the CSA as a midfielder.
- Weird not to see Marcel de Jong among the 18. He was selected for Greece but had to withdraw due to injury. He's been playing 90 minutes weekly for his club since then. I know he plays a similar role to Klukowski, but surely there's a role for both in the squad.
- Some debate on the Voyageurs that Iain Hume and Olivier Occean should have been called, and Rob Friend left off. Personally, I don't think any get near the starting XI when the North American contingent is also available, so it hardly matters.
- Expect to see Tosaint Ricketts or Josh Simpson get at least a half playing as the lone striker in the 4-5-1.
- It seems Pedro Pacheco has established himself as a regular selection, at least for European games. And why not? He's now starting regularly at a decent level, while most of Canada's midfield depth is playing in the USA and Canada.
- Does it seem strange to you that Will Johnson only has 14 caps?