Sunday, March 18, 2012

Terry Dunfield's gut: A story in pictures

Despite the incredible result at the end of Wednesday's Galaxy-TFC match, I remain obsessed with a particular moment in the 50th minute of the 2nd half.

Terry Dunfield, who had entered the match at halftime, was ordered to the sideline for some kind of wardrobe infraction.

Was the double jersey à la Hassli the problem? Stupid, perhaps, but it would appear not.

Seconds later, though, however ridiculous it was to be wearing three layers in Los Angeles, all thoughts and explanations were pushed to the sidelines. This boob shot had my full attention.

Oh my Lord!


This is the money shot (if you're into that sort of thing). When I saw this gut I was flabbergasted. This is a professional athlete.

Now, to be fair, this is no Kyle Wellwood situation (and to be fair to Kyle too, he's enjoying an excellent season for my Jets). And Terry is probably fitter than 90% of you that are reading this post. He was also quite effective, in a very Dunfield-y way, in that Galaxy match, breaking up attack after attack.

Still, the fact that this was the one moment that I'll remember forever from Toronto's biggest win in 5 years suggests that his physique is truly astonishing.


In case you're wondering, this isn't the first time I've featured a shirtless national teamer on this blog. I've also got a bare-torsoed Tomasz Radzinski striking a pose (I used the same picture two years later in another memorably titled post).

No comments: