|22||Kenny Stamatopoulos||GK||AIK Stockholm||Sweden||33||8||0|
|3||Ante Jazic||D||Chivas USA||MLS||36||33||1|
|4||Kevin McKenna||D||1. FC Koeln||Germany||32||59||11|
|5||Andre Hainault||D||Houston Dynamo||MLS||26||28||2|
|11||Marcel de Jong||D||FC Augsburg||Germany||25||19||1|
|12||Dejan Jakovic||D||DC United||MLS||27||12||0|
|15||David Edgar||D||Burnley FC||England||25||11||0|
|19||Ashtone Morgan||D||Toronto FC||MLS||21||2||0|
|6||Julian de Guzman||M||FC Dallas||MLS||31||57||4|
|7||Terry Dunfield||M||Toronto FC||MLS||30||10||1|
|8||Will Johnson||M||Real Salt Lake||MLS||25||28||2|
|13||Atiba Hutchinson||M||PSV Eindhoven||Netherlands||29||58||4|
|14||Dwayne De Rosario||M||DC United||MLS||34||68||19|
|16||Pedro Pacheco||M||CD Santa Clara||Portugal||28||7||0|
|20||Patrice Bernier||M||Montreal Impact||MLS||32||47||2|
|9||Tosaint Ricketts||F||Politehnica Timisoara||Romania||25||14||4|
|10||Simeon Jackson||F||Norwich FC||England||25||29||6|
|17||Olivier Occean||F||Eintracht Frankfurt||Germany||30||26||6|
By now, we have a good idea of Stephen Hart's players are. The non-committed excepted (Hoilett, de Guzman the younger) these represent, by and large, the best Canadian players available.
- There is little turnover between June's squad and this one: Joining are Terry Dunfield, Marcel de Jong and Patrice Bernier. Exiting are Mike Klukowski, Issey Nakajima-Farran, 17-year old Sam Piette and Iain Hume.
- A changing of the guard appears underway at a few positions: Hume has been made largely redundant by the emergence of Tosaint Ricketts, while Ante Jazic's indian summer and the continued development of Ashtone Morgan have pushed Klukowski out of the squad. The latter may be re-born as a late-career centre half, his current position at APOEL, when Kevin McKenna hangs up the cleats.
- Stephen Hart will have the option to re-unite the successful defensive grouping of Jazic, McKenna, Andre Hainault and David Edgar, although the inclusion of de Jong in the team may instigate some changes. Says Hart, of de Jong: "Marcel gives us a different dimension down the left. He can play a number of positions, adds variety"
- De Jong's versatility may indeed come into play because what the squad lacks, apart from him, are players with the ability to attack from the wing. Ricketts, Dwayne De Rosario and Simeon Jackson have played there in the past, but all are natural strikers. Patrice Bernier can play on the right, and may need to in order to get in the XI from a squad with 7 central midfielders.
- De Rosario scored his 100th MLS goal yesterday and will have an opportunity to reach another milestone next month. His next goal for Canada will be his 20th which would place him atop the all-tie national team scoring table.
- Neither Milan Borjan nor Kenny Stamatopoulos are earning regular minutes for their club sides so expect Lars Hirschfeld to be the starter.
- Tosaint Ricketts is listed with Politehnica Timisoara. I suppose this is technically true until his contract situation is resolved, but he has been training with his new club in Germany. By this designation, the squad is comprised of 21 players from 10 countries and 9 leagues: MLS (9 players), Germany (3), England, Sweden (2 each), Norway, Turkey, Netherlands, Portugal, Romania (1 each).
If you're so inclined, you can also take a look at the Panama squad Canada will be facing, which was also released today.