Another year, another contest to predict the outcomes in the matches of the Voyageurs Cup. The corporate moniker is the Amway Canadian Championship, and that is the last you'll hear of that title in this space.
The contest got its start in 2009, won in style by former some canadian guy talking about soccer and now merely some canadian guy squizz. If you're curious how the contest has turned out over the years, consult the following summaries:
Here's the important information:
- Participants will predict the final score of each of the 6 NCC matches in two stages: a) The initial entry must include predictions for the first 4 matches (both legs of each of the two legged ties, then b) Once the finalists are known, an emailed prediction for both legs of the final
- Total discrepancy from the final score of each match will be tallied. e.g.: If you predicted Toronto 1 - 0 Montreal for the opening fixture, and the final was 2-2, your discrepancy factor would be 3 goals (off by 1 for Toronto, off by 2 for Montreal). Lowest total score over all matches wins.
- For these two-legged ties, the CSA is applying the away goals rule. If matches go to extra time, the scoreline after 120 minutes is the one that will be used for contest purposes.
- First tie-breaker will be total number of exact scorelines. Second is total number of correct results (win/draw/loss). Third will be correctly predicting the tournament's high goal scorer.
The lanterne rouge is a cycling term to designate the last-placed finisher in a race. The last-placed finisher will choose a team scarf from one of the tournament teams to be awarded to the winner.
If the number of entries goes beyond 60, a second winner will receive a prize. 100 is the threshold for a third prize.
Or, if you have a company that wants to market to diehard Canadian soccer supporters, get in touch to donate or sponsor a prize.
HOW TO ENTER
All entries must be submitted via email in order for me to be able to solicit your final round picks in a timely fashion once the finalists are known. Any entries left in the comments will not be included; I'll try to contact you to get an emailed response.
Please include the following details in your entry
- The exact score of each of the first 4 fixtures (in the correct order, please)
- Your prediction for tournament leading goal scorer.
- A nickname to be displayed on the results page. If none is given, your real name will be used.
Golden boot: John Doe
I know some email programs will garble the formatting of that table, but don't worry about it, I'll figure it out.
Once the finalists are known, you will receive an email inviting you to submit your second round of picks.
All entries must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CONTEST DEADLINE: All entries must be received by 8 pm eastern (kickoff time) on Wednesday 24 April 2013, the day of the opening encounters.
I'm shooting for maximum participation, so if you have a platform for promoting this thing (twitter, blog, semaphore, etc.), I'd appreciate the support that way.